Analysts have been expecting big earnings results from the movie theatre chain due to the rise of this year’s second quarter box office numbers.
“While we still have much work ahead of us on this front, AMC’s glide path to eventual recovery continued with significant pace in the second quarter of 2023 as our results set new records and represent AMC’s strongest second quarter in four full years.
Following an impressive start to the year in the first quarter of 2023, the second quarter yet again showed great progress.
AMC saw more than a 12% growth in attendance, a 15% growth in total revenue and a 71% increase in Adjusted EBITDA compared to the second quarter of 2022.
Indeed, Adjusted EBITDA was $182.5 million, the highest such quarterly figure since the fourth quarter of 2019,” said AMC CEO Adam Aron.
Here’s AMC’s Q2 earnings summary:
- Total revenue grew by 15.6% compared to Q2 2022 to $1,347.9 million.
- Net income was $8.6 million compared to a net loss of $121.6 million in Q2 2022.
- Diluted earnings per share was $0.01 compared to a diluted loss per share of $0.12 in Q2 2022.
- Adjusted EBITDA improved by $75.8 million to $182.5 million compared to $106.7 million in Q2 2022.
- Net cash used in operating activities improved by $63.2 million compared to Q2 2022 to $13.4 million.
- Non-GAAP Operating Cash Generated1 was $99.8 million, an improvement of $47.8 million compared to Q2
- Available liquidity at June 30, 2023 was $643.4 million, including $208.1 million of undrawn capacity under the
Company’s revolving credit facility.
Shareholders believe AMC Entertainment is a target for illegal short selling due to the company’s incredibly high number of FTDs.
And with more than 50% of trading happening in off exchanges and dark pools, there’s no question why shares continue to be suppressed in the market.
[stock_market_widget type=”chart” template=”basic” color=”#5679FF” assets=”AMC” range=”1mo” interval=”1d” axes=”true” cursor=”true” range_selector=”true” display_currency_symbol=”true” api=”yf”]
Quarter 3 Already Looks Promising for AMC Entertainment
Towards the end of July, AMC Entertainment broke a 4-year weekend high record as “Barbenheimer” produced results bigger than expected.
The results demonstrate AMC’s path to recovery is also strong in Q3 of 2023.
“Barbie” ended up with $162 million in its first weekend of release, above Sunday’s already record-breaking estimate of $155 million. The Warner Bros. film, starring Margot Robbie declined just 9% from Saturday to bring in $43.7 million on Sunday.
Those ticket sales rank as the biggest opening weekend of the year, besting “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” ($146 million).
“Barbie” also marks the biggest debut ever for a film directed by a woman, overtaking Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck’s 2019 blockbuster “Captain Marvel” ($153 million), says Variety.
“Oppenheimer,” also beat expectations with $82.4 million, slightly higher than Sunday’s huge $80.5 million projection.
At the international box office, Oppenheimer added $98 million for a global tally of $180 million.
“The box office powered to its fourth-biggest weekend in history with over $300 million industrywide.
The top three weekends of all time were led by the debuts of sequels in massive franchises — 2019’s “Avengers: Endgame” ($402 million collectively), 2018’s “Avengers: Infinity War” ($314 million collectively) and 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” ($313 million collectively),” says Variety.
Despite strong improvement, Wall Street ego has been far too damaged ever since the ‘meme stock’ frenzy of 2021.
Will AMC Entertainment prevail?
Leave your thoughts below.
For more market news and updates, join the newsletter below. More than 10,000 readers have already signed up this year.
Market News Published Daily 📰
Join the newsletter ⬅️ to receive daily stock market news, business news and updates straight to your inbox; more than 10,000 readers have joined!
THANK YOU to all of our blog sponsors, this year we’ve been able to increase our email sends and signup slots as well as introduce push notifications.
Franknez.com is the media site that keeps retail investors informed.
- Gain access to EXCLUSIVE FrankNez articles you won’t find here.
- Become part of a private and safe Discord community, just for retail investors.
- Get drawn at the end of the year for holiday giveaways.
Recommended For You ✨
- Chase Customers Now Unable to Access Money Through ATMs
- A Massive Bank Now Closes Several Branches in Florida
- A US Bank is Now Denying Customers Access to Money
- California Now Has Massive Departures As Hundreds of Thousands Leave
- Massive Layoffs in California Now Underway Prior to Holidays
- A US Company Now Declares An Unexpected Bankruptcy