A massive retailer now shuts down in Massachusetts after stating in July it would close 150 U.S. stores this year.
Walgreens says overall consumer sales have plunged resulting in the closure of several stores nationwide.
The company is permanently closing the Massachusetts store as part of its current spate of financially strategic national closures.
The Worcester store will shut down on November 9.
Pharmacy customers were sent a letter notifying them of the closure and told prescriptions would be transferred to the nearby store on West Boylston Street.
“After careful consideration, we have decided to close your neighborhood Walgreens at 472 Lincoln St. in Worcester on Thursday, November 9, 2023,” Walgreens wrote in the letter.
According to ScrapeHero, “there are 8,689 Walgreens pharmacies in the United States as of October 01, 2023.
The state with the most number of Walgreens locations in the US is Florida, with 809 pharmacies, which is about 9% of all Walgreens pharmacies in the US.“
California remains the #1 state with the most layoffs in the country.
Below is a list of businesses that filed WARN notices advising of upcoming layoffs in Massachusetts by year’s end.
Upcoming Layoffs in Massachusetts 2023
Below is a list of upcoming job cuts in Massachusetts this year as of October 3rd:
- SunSetter Products. 54 jobs cuts in Malden
- Starry. 57 jobs cuts in Boston
- Wayfair. 932 jobs cuts in Boston
- Resilience US. 213 jobs cuts in Allston
- Jounce Therapeutics. 77 jobs cuts in Cambridge
- MassBiologics. 26 jobs cuts in Mattapan
- Sunsetter Products. 54 jobs cuts in Malden
- Pear Therapeutics. 78 jobs cuts in Boston
- Takeda Development Centers America. 185 jobs cuts in Cambridge and Lexington
- Path AI. 51 jobs cuts in Boston
- Quad/Graphics. 58 jobs cuts in Leominster
- Community Healthlink. Jobs cut in Worcester
- Thayer Detoxification. 39 jobs cuts in Worcester
- Thayer PASSages. 21 jobs cuts in Worcester
- Transitional Support Systems. 18 jobs cuts in Worcester
- Sunovian Pharmaceuticals. 223 jobs cuts in Marlborough
- Makita USA. 4 jobs cuts in Norwood
- Takeda – Shire Human Genetic Therapies. 42 jobs cuts in Lexington
- The Rockport Company. 148 jobs cuts in Newton
- Greenlight Biosciences. 96 jobs cuts in Lexington
- Transdev Services. 137 jobs cuts in Taunton, Plymouth
- Owens & Minor. 61 jobs cuts in Franklin
- Blue Harvest Fisheries. 57 jobs cuts in New Bedford
- David’s Bridal. Jobs cut across Massachusetts
- Christmas Tree Shops. 223 jobs cuts in Middleboro
- EMD Serono Research & Development Institute. 133 jobs cuts in Billerica
- Rousselot, Inc. 84 jobs cuts in Peabody
- EMD Serono Research & Development Institute. 6 jobs cuts in Billerica
- Northeast Health Group. 215 jobs cuts in Westfield and Chicopee
- Community Healthlink. 78 jobs cuts in Worcester
- Trulieve. 90 jobs cuts in Holyoke
- Vibra Hospital of Western MA. 87 jobs cuts in Springfield
- Fresh American. 50 jobs cuts in Pittsfield
- G2 Secure Staff. 67 jobs cuts in Boston
- Mersana Therapeutics. 124 jobs cuts in Cambridge
- Tufts Medical Center. 242 jobs cuts in Boston
- WayForth. 30 jobs cuts in Boston
- CVS Health. 76 jobs cuts in Boston
- Apellis Pharmaceuticals. 175 jobs cuts in Waltham
- 2seventy bio. 145 jobs cuts in Cambridge
- Sage Therapeutics. 95 jobs cuts in Cambridge
- Emergent Biosolutions. 86 jobs cuts in Canton
- CVS Health. 64 jobs cuts in Wellesley
- Web Industries. 68 jobs cuts in Holliston
- Ambri. 89 jobs cuts in Marlborough
- Trulieve. 90 jobs cuts in Holyoke
- Matheson Flight Extenders. 305 jobs cuts in Chicopee
- Lowell General Hospital. 251 jobs cuts in Lowell
- MelroseWakefield Hospital. 81 jobs cuts in Melrose
Other Economy News Today
Massive California banks are now closing according to new reports, including several Wells Fargo branches and one BMO branch.
This week, 5 big bank branches are closing in California, a trend that is only expected to grow in the years to come.
Why are we seeing traditional branches across America collapse?
The rise of online banking has greatly impacted traditional banks, causing the entire industry to pivot and adapt to the ever growing digital world.
The following bank branches are expected to shutter in California soon:
- Wells Fargo. 303 2nd St, San Francisco
- Wells Fargo. Hores Parkway, Redwood City
- Wells Fargo. 305 W. Sepulveda Blvd, Torrance
- Wells Fargo. 7950 West Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles
- BMO Bank. 6055 East Washington Blvd, City of Commerce
All over California, 277 bank branches have closed so far this year, second only this century to 2020, when 325 branches closed.
Branch openings are a much rarer occurrence: Only eight have occurred statewide this year,” reports Governing.
A recent report states that Wells Fargo plans to lay off approximately 525 of its employees based in Columbia, South Carolina, and close the bank’s corporate office there by June 30, 2024.
“Wells Fargo leaders are working to provide up-to-date facilities with modern workspaces and technology to create a more collaborative work environment that is a better employee experience,” Wells Fargo wrote in a notice.
“At the same time, we need to concentrate Wells Fargo real estate investments in fewer locations or reduce space in existing real estate,” the bank said.
Bank of Montreal (BMO) is cutting 228 jobs in California’s Bay Area next month, as the Canadian lender continues to shed positions following its February acquisition of San Francisco-based Bank of the West.
Market News Published Daily 📰
Don’t forget to opt-in for push notifications so you don’t miss a single article!
Also, thank you to all of our blog sponsors. This year we’ve been able to increase push notifications slots making it more convenient than ever for new readers to receive their daily market news and updates.
- Gain access to EXCLUSIVE FrankNez articles you won’t find here.
- Become part of a private and safe Discord community, just for retail investors.
- Get drawn at the end of the year for holiday giveaways.
Recommended For You ✨
- Wells Fargo is Now Freezing Bank Accounts in New Scandal
- California Now Has Massive Departures As Hundreds of Thousands Leave
- A US Company Now Declares An Unexpected Bankruptcy
- The US Treasury Direct is Now Freezing Customer Accounts
- A Massive Bank Now Closes Several Branches in Florida
- A US Bank is Now Denying Customers Access to Money