Layoffs in California this year have now exceeded last year’s numbers according to the latest data by the EDD.
“11,238 jobs have been cut in California since July 1, 2023.
This is tracking ahead of last year’s period when just under 10,000 jobs were cut in California.
From July 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023, there were a total of 90,693 employees laid off in California,” reports Ash Jurberg.
Several thousands of Californians suffered from job losses in August as more businesses announced layoffs throughout the month.
Layoffs in California surpassed layoffs in Florida significantly for the month of August.
Both California and Florida had the most layoffs in Yellow Corp., an American transportation holding company headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.
Below are the businesses that filed a WARN act with the California Employment Development Department advising of upcoming layoffs.
August Layoffs in California 2023
- Gillette Citrus. 93 jobs cut in Dinuba.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific 106 jobs cut in Carlsbad and San Diego.
- Surgalign Spine Technologies. 99 jobs cut in San Diego.
- Circle C Ranch. 14 jobs cut in Stockton.
- Tattooed Chef. 234 jobs cut in Los Angeles and Paramount.
- G&C Staffing. jobs cut in San Jose.
- Niantic 164 jobs cut in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Hyatt Centric. 111 jobs cut in Sacremento.
- GXO Logistics. 61 jobs cut in Ontario.
- Valiant Integrated Services. 137 jobs cut in Travis.
- Crunchbase 63 jobs cut in San Francisco.
- Perfect Day. 75 jobs cut in Berkely.
- Hyperloop Technologies. 3 jobs cut in Los Angeles.
- Accesso 111 jobs cut in Valencia.
- NRI USA. 164 jobs cut in Chino.
- Bank of the West. 248 jobs cut in San Ramon and San Francisco.
- Macy’s Eagle Rock Plaza Store. 74 jobs cut in Los Angeles.
- Microsoft. 40 jobs cut in Mountain View.
- Intel Corporation 315 jobs cut across various locations.
- Illumina. 154 jobs cut in Hayward and San Diego.
- Yellow Corporation. 2,671 jobs cut across various locations.
- Cardinal Glass. 29 jobs cut in Los Angeles.
- Peloton Interactive Inc. 21 jobs cut in Perris.
- Tempo Automation Holdings. 58 jobs cut in San Francisco.
- SPT Microtechnologies. 67 jobs cut in San Jose.
- Corteva Agriscience. 31 jobs cut in Pittsburg.
- Fish Market Restaurants. 140 jobs cut in Palo Alto, San Matteo, San Francisco
- FibroGen. 104 jobs cut in San Francisco
- Vionic Consumer Care Operations. 6 jobs cut in San Rafael
- Accenture. 240 jobs cut in Fremont.
- Intense Lighting. 90 jobs cut in Anaheim.
- Blowfish. 20 jobs cut in Culver City.
- Charles River Laboratories. 55 jobs cut in San Francisco.
- Gemological Institute of America, Inc. (GIA) 151 Carlsbad.
- Petco Animal Supplies Stores 54 jobs cut in San Diego.
- Codexis. 59 jobs cut in Redwood City.
- CSL Vifor. 85 jobs cut in Redwood City.
- Headway Technologies. 90 jobs cut in Milpitas.
- Langmuir Systems. 16 jobs cut in Lakeside.
- Pizza Antica Mill Valley. 43 jobs cut in Mill Valley.
September California layoff notifications
Under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, an employer with more than 100 full-time workers must provide a 60-day notice before laying off 50 or more people at a single site.
Below are the businesses that have filed a WARN act with the California Employment Development Department in September advising of upcoming layoffs.
- Tri-City Medical Center. 96 jobs cut in Oceanside.
- Herbalife International of America. 12 jobs cut in Los Angeles.
- Alchemee. 12 jobs cut in Santa Monica.
- Herbalife International of America, 85 jobs cut in Torrance
- Visalia Citrus Packing Group. 34 jobs cut in Orange Cove
- Dabico Airport Solutions. 25 jobs cut in Cypress
- Visalia Citrus Packing Group. 31 jobs cut in Woodlake
- Mercy Medical Transportation 58 jobs cut in Ramona
- Planet Labs PBC. 85 jobs cut in San Francisco
- Johns Manville. 54 jobs cut in Willows
- ContextLogic Inc.152 jobs cut in San Francisco
Despite rising layoffs in California and other states, banks reiterate that the probabilities of a recession have come down significantly.
However, most Americans would differ.
Are we headed towards a recession? Do you know anyone who’s lost their job? Leave your thoughts in the comment section down below.
Market News Published Daily 📰
Don’t forget to opt-in for push notifications so you don’t miss a single article!
Also, thank you to all of our blog sponsors. This year we’ve been able to increase push notifications slots making it more convenient than ever for new readers to receive their daily market news and updates.
- Gain access to EXCLUSIVE FrankNez articles you won’t find here.
- Become part of a private and safe Discord community, just for retail investors.
- Get drawn at the end of the year for holiday giveaways.
Recommended For You ✨
- Chase Customers Now Unable to Access Money Through ATMs
- The US Treasury Direct is Now Freezing Customer Accounts
- Wells Fargo is Now Freezing Bank Accounts in New Scandal
- A US Bank is Now Denying Customers Access to Money
- Bank of America is Freezing Accounts in New Scandal
- Banks Are Now Closing Thousands of Accounts Daily