“A processing error caused us to sell shares short into the market, and although it was detected quickly, it resulted in a loss of $57 million as we bought back these shares against a rising stock price,” CFO Jason Warnick said.
Robinhood ended up down $57 million in a single day after a glitch let its trading app customers temporarily short a meme stock, according to company executives.
Cosmos Health’s share price tripled on December 16, when a 1-to-25 reverse stock split for the healthcare company went into effect.
But the reverse stock split caused issues in Robinhood’s trading app, allowing users to briefly sell more Cosmos shares than they owned to create a temporary short position, the company said in its fourth-quarter earnings release Thursday.
Executives Forgo $500 Million
The loss suffered by Robinhood tops Cosmos’ current total market capitalization, with the healthcare stock valued at $52 million as of Friday.
Robinhood executives will forgo around $500 million in stock-based compensation to help it cut costs.
Retail investors continue to scrutinize the company after it had colluded with Citadel during the ‘meme stock’ frenzy to halt trades.
Investors speculate Cosmos Health (COSM) may have a short squeeze this year, so Robinhood’s short ‘glitch’ doesn’t look too well in retail’s eyes.
HOOD stock is currently up +23% year-to-date.
Will Robinhood ever win retail back?
Share this article and leave your thoughts below.
About the company
[stock_market_widget type=”chart” template=”basic” color=”#5679FF” assets=”HOOD” range=”1mo” interval=”1d” axes=”true” cursor=”true” range_selector=”true” display_currency_symbol=”true” api=”yf”]
[stock_market_widget type=”card-companies” template=”basic” assets=”HOOD” fields=”logo_name,symbol,description,industry,sector,website,phone” api=”yf”]
Market News Published Daily
For more stock market, business news and updates, join the newsletter to receive weekly market news and notifications straight to your inbox.
Franknez.com is the media blog that keeps retail investors informed.
- Gain access to EXCLUSIVE FrankNez articles you won’t find here.
- Become part of a private and safe Discord community, just for retail investors.
- Get drawn at the end of the year for holiday giveaways.
Recommended For You ✨
- The US Treasury Direct is Now Freezing Customer Accounts
- Chase Customers Now Unable to Access Money Through ATMs
- A US Bank is Now Denying Customers Access to Money
- Florida Now Has Massive Departures As Hundreds of Thousands Leave
- A Massive Bank Now Closes Several Branches in Florida
- A US Company Now Declares An Unexpected Bankruptcy