
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson has taken a bold stand against President Donald Trump’s planned immigration crackdown by signing an executive order on Saturday, outlining measures to protect the city’s residents from federal enforcement actions.
The move, which prohibits Chicago police from collaborating with federal agents, marks a significant escalation in the ongoing clash between local Democratic leaders and the Trump administration.
Here’s a detailed look at this development and other key stories shaping the political landscape.
Mayor Brandon Johnson signed an executive order titled the “Protecting Chicago” initiative, directing city agencies and law enforcement to resist cooperation with federal immigration enforcement efforts.
The order explicitly bars the Chicago Police Department from participating in joint patrols, arrests, or any civil immigration enforcement activities with federal agents, reinforcing the city’s longstanding sanctuary city policies.
It also mandates that Chicago police wear identifiable uniforms and prohibits them from using face coverings, ensuring transparency and distinguishing them from federal agents, who have often concealed their identities during operations.
The executive action comes in response to credible reports that the Trump administration is preparing a major immigration enforcement operation in Chicago, potentially deploying federal agents, National Guard troops, or even active-duty military as early as next week.
Johnson condemned the plan as “unconstitutional” and “reckless,” accusing Trump of targeting Democratic-led cities for political retribution.
“We do not want to see tanks in our streets.
We do not want to see families ripped apart,” Johnson said during a City Hall press conference.
Illinois Governor JB Pritzker echoed Johnson’s sentiments, calling the potential deployment of National Guard troops an “invasion” and suggesting it could be a pretext for broader political motives, such as interfering with the 2026 elections.
“If this was really about fighting crime, what possible justification could the White House have for planning such an exceptional action without consulting the governor, the mayor, or the police?” Pritzker said.
The White House, through spokeswoman Abigail Jackson, dismissed Johnson’s order as a “publicity stunt,” arguing that Democratic leaders should focus on addressing local crime rather than obstructing federal efforts.
Trump’s “border czar,” Tom Homan, was blunt in a Fox News interview, telling Johnson to “get out of the way, because we’re going to do it.”
Homan confirmed that Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Border Patrol, and other agencies are gearing up for a significant operation in Chicago to increase arrests of undocumented immigrants.
Trump’s Aggressive Immigration Strategy
The Chicago operation is part of a broader Trump administration push targeting Democratic-run “sanctuary cities.”
Last week, the White House requested access to a U.S. military base near Chicago to support immigration operations, a move that has heightened local concerns.
This follows a precedent set in June, when Trump deployed 4,000 National Guard troops and 700 U.S. Marines to Los Angeles to quell protests sparked by immigration raids, a tactic now feared for Chicago.
Johnson’s order also builds on Chicago’s Welcoming City ordinance, which prohibits city employees from assisting federal immigration agents in most cases.
The mayor emphasized protecting the constitutional rights of Chicago’s large immigrant population, with over one in five residents being immigrants, many from Latin American countries.
The city is also launching a “Family Preparedness” campaign to educate residents on their rights when interacting with federal agents.
Other National Developments on August 30, 2025
- Voice of America Layoffs: The U.S. Agency for Global Media announced plans to cut over 500 jobs at Voice of America and other broadcasters, escalating a legal battle over the outlets’ independence. The move, led by acting CEO Kari Lake, follows a federal judge’s ruling preventing the removal of VOA director Michael Abramowitz.
- Bernie Sanders Targets RFK Jr.: Senator Bernie Sanders called for the resignation of Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in a New York Times op-ed, citing chaos in health agencies under his leadership as a threat to public health.
- Pentagon Official’s Scandal: A senior Pentagon official faces a defamation lawsuit in Florida, alleging an affair with a self-proclaimed “notorious astrologer” who later cyberstalked him and his wife, raising questions about personal conduct in the administration.
- Wildfires Ravage California: Vineyards in California’s wine country are assessing damage from devastating wildfires, impacting a key economic sector.
Looking Ahead
Chicago’s resistance to federal immigration enforcement sets the stage for a high-stakes confrontation with the Trump administration.
As the city braces for potential militarized action, Johnson and Pritzker’s coordinated defiance underscores a broader Democratic pushback against what they view as federal overreach.
Also Read: ICE is Now Recruiting Teens and Seniors in ‘Desperate Attempt’
For customer support or to report typos and corrections please get in contact via media@franknez.com.